Cost-effective Solutions for Researching, Drafting and Enforcing Short-Term Rental Regulation
As a software, data and consulting services provider exclusively focused on helping local governments overcome the challenges associated with short-term vacation rentals, Host Compliance has developed the deep experience and know-how needed to quickly and effectively manage all phases of the regulatory cycle spanning from researching whether regulation is needed, to drafting and enforcing effective short-term rental regulations.
Short-Term Rental Compliance Monitoring and Enforcement Solutions
Host Compliance's software-as-a-service tools allow local governments to quickly and cost-effectively identify and bring non-permitted vacation rentals into compliance, while maximizing tax collections and effectively addressing neighbor concerns.
SHORT-TERM RENTAL TREND MONITORING
For local government's only interested in monitoring the aggregate short-term rental activity in their jurisdiction, our STR Trend Monitoring service provides a live web-delivered dashboard with aggregate statistics on the short-term rental activity in their specific area:
- Active monitoring of jurisdiction's short-term rental listings across 18+ STR websites
- Monthly analysis of jurisdiction’s STR activity scale, scope and trends
The service is sold as an annual subscription and cost only $380 per year. You can order it directly from this webpage by clicking on the "PURCHASE" button immediately below this screenshot.
SHORT-TERM RENTAL ADDRESS IDENTIFICATION
For local governments looking for cost-effective ways to easily obtain a constantly updated list of addresses of the short-term rental properties operating in their jurisdiction, our Address Identification service is a perfect match. As the name implies, this service provides a monthly email-delivered report and live web-delivered dashboard with complete address information and screenshots of all identifiable STRs in your local government’s jurisdiction:
- Active monitoring of jurisdiction's short-term rental listings across 25+ STR websites
- Monthly analysis of jurisdiction’s STR activity scale, scope and trends
- Up-to-date list of jurisdiction's active STR listings
- High resolution screenshots of all active listings (captured weekly)
- Full address and contact information for all identifiable STRs in jurisdiction
- All available listing and contact information for non-identifiable STRs in jurisdiction
- All data can be downloaded into Microsoft Excel or CSV files for easy portability or upload into other systems.
This service is sold as an annual subscription and priced based on the number of short-term rental listings that we need to monitor and identify. To get a sense of the pricing please visit our pricing page and select the approximate number of listings in your jurisdiction. To order this service or learn more about it, please contact us or click on the "ORDER OR LEARN MORE ABOUT ADDRESS IDENTIFICATION" button beneath the screenshots below.
SHORT-TERM RENTAL COMPLIANCE MONITORING
For local governments looking for cost-effective automated ways to bring short-term rentals into zoning and permit compliance, our Compliance Monitoring service is a great choice. In this service we combine our ability to monitor short-term rentals for zoning and permit compliance with systematic and automated outreach initiatives to non-compliant short-term rental property owners (using our client's form letters).
- Ongoing monitoring of STRs for zoning and permit compliance
- Pro-active and systematic outreach to non-permitted and/or illegal short-term rental operators (using our clients' form letters)
- Monthly staff report on jurisdiction's zoning and permit compliance:
- Up-to-date list of STRs operating illegally or without the proper permits
- Full case history for non-compliant listings
This service is sold as an annual subscription and priced based on the number of short-term rental listings that we need to monitor and identify. To get a sense of the pricing please visit our pricing page and select the approximate number of listings in your jurisdiction. To order this service or learn more about it, please contact us or click on the button immediately below.
Rental Activity Monitoring and Tax Collection Support
If tax compliance is a major concern, our Rental Activity Monitoring and Tax Collection Support Services can be a big help in identifying and reaching out to hosts that fail to report (or under-report) lodging/hotel/occupancy taxes:
- Automatic monitoring of calendar and review activity across 15+ STR websites
- Weekly screenshots of reviews and calendars for each active listing
- Quarterly pro-active, systematic and data-informed outreach to short-term rental operators regarding their tax remittance obligations (using our clients' form letters)
- Quarterly staff report on jurisdiction's STR tax compliance:
- Up-to-date list of short-term rental landlords suspected of under-reporting taxes
- Documentation of information that serves as the foundation for the suspicion of tax under-reporting
- Custom reports and analysis to support tax audits and other STR related investigations
This service is sold as an annual subscription and priced based on the number of short-term rental listings that we need to monitor and contact. To get a sense of the pricing please visit our pricing page and select the approximate number of listings in your jurisdiction. To order this service or learn more about it, please contact us or click on the button below this screenshot.
7/24 Short-term Rental Hotline
For local governments looking for ways to improve their ability to resolve short-term rental related neighbor concerns in real time, our 24/7 staffed telephone and email hotline is a cost-effective solution. With this service, we set up a hotline for neighbors to report non-emergency problems related to short-term rental properties to, while at the same time getting our local government partners the data they need to root out non-neighborly short-term rental hosts:
- Incidents can be reported by phone or email
- Full documentation of all reported incidents
- Digital recordings and written transcripts of all calls
- Ability for neighbors to include photos, video footage and sound recordings to document complaints
- Real-time outreach to owners of problem properties (whenever owner’s contact info is known)
- Weekly staff reports containing:
- The # and types of reported incidents
- List of properties for which incidents have been reported
- Custom reports and analysis of hotline related activities
This service is sold as an annual subscription and priced based on the number of short-term rental listings that we need to support. To get a sense of the pricing please visit our pricing page and select the approximate number of listings in your jurisdiction. To order this service or learn more about it, please contact us or click on the button below.
SHORT-TERM RENTAL ORDINANCE CONSULTING SERVICES
Serving local governments with short-term rental compliance monitoring and enforcement solutions, Host Compliance has developed a deep understanding of what works and what doesn't when it comes to regulating short-term rentals. This deep expertise, experience and data-driven approach allows us to help local governments more quickly draft enforceable STR regulation based on their specific needs and circumstances as well as best-practices derived through the detailed study of more than 150 short-term rental ordinances/by-laws from across North America.
While each project is custom, the typical consulting project deliverables include:
- Customized project timeline and work plan to meet each client's timing requirements and deadlines
- Quantitative report on the scale and scope of the short-term rental activity in the jurisdiction
- Background memo to the key decision makers on the context and regulatory best practices for addressing the various short-term rental related issues
- Custom public outreach strategy and messaging framing
- Participation in (or facilitation of) one public hearing to identify the client city/county’s key issues and regulatory objectives as it relates to short-term rentals (hearing to be scheduled at a mutually convenient date/time)
- Post public hearing survey of key decision-makers to prioritize regulatory objectives
- Complete draft of a custom short-term rental ordinance developed based on national best-practices and each client's key issues and regulatory objectives
- Participation in (or facilitation of) one post-draft public hearing (hearing to be scheduled at a mutually convenient date/time)
- Enforcement focused planning work-session with the client’s key stakeholders
- Draft compliance monitoring and enforcement plan for staff and legal counsel to refine and adopt
To learn more about our consulting services and whether they may be of help to your city/town/county, please contact us or click on the button below.
CUSTOM SHORT-TERM RENTAL DATA & ANALYTICS
Host Compliance’s proprietary data can provide deep insights into the scale and scope of the short-term rental activity in any jurisdiction and its different areas, neighborhoods and blocks. Data is collected weekly and we currently collect, aggregate and de-duplicate all listing data, reviews, calendar info and photos across the 16 top short-term rental listing sites. We estimate this represents 99% of the total vacation rental universe in most jurisdictions.
Data can be segmented and analyzed by a number of parameters including:
- Listing site
- location (as defined by a boundary box or polygon i.e. neighborhood
- Property Type (Apartment, House, Condo etc.)
- Room Type (Entire home, Room etc.)
- # of Bedrooms and Bathrooms
- Minimum # of nights available for rent
- Host Name/ID
- # of Reviews
- First Review dates
- Last review date
- Date the property was first active
- …and many other parameter
All data can be provided in whatever format you need including CSV, Excel, SPSS etc.
To order a custom analysis or learn more about our data and analytics capabilities, please contact us or click on the button immediately below the screenshot.